Monday, November 21, 2016

The Bully or The Hypocrite...Or Both

Let me start off by adding a disclaimer...

I am not a scholar of the Bible or psychology but I am a student. Always learning. This is simply the thoughts of a modern, real life person trying to be the best person I can be. Far from perfect.




Bullying is the use of force, threat, or coercion to abuse, intimidate, or aggressively dominate others. The behavior is often repeated and habitual.



We have all encountered them.



The outraged fan who heckles the officials. The line cutter/lane jumper who sneaks their way ahead of the crowd rather than waiting their turn. The downright grumpy person who lashes out for no particular reason.



Then there are the ones that really hurt. The family or friends that choose to place the blame you or others for their own wrongdoings. The people who call you names or insult you.

We have all met them or even acted like them.



The people we love and care about the most are causing the most hurt. Ouch...



While Jesus was preaching in the Sermon on the Mount or the Beatitudes, he gives reference to bullies (or hypocrites in some text). This can be found in the Matthew 5-7.

“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye."



Specifically, I believe He is giving us a reference to our own behavior. A victim mentality.



Hypocrisy is the contrivance of a false appearance of virtue or goodness, while concealing real character or inclinations, especially with respect to religious and moral beliefs... A consistent finding of psychological research is that humans are fairly accurate in their perceptions of others, but generally inaccurate in their perceptions of themselves.



Aren't we all guilty of feeling angry at the way we are treated? I know I can be at times. If we are to do what is right, it is to take the high road rather than seeking revenge or even thinking that someone else will get what they deserve or even referring to "karma".



He refers to this as "an eye for an eye". Do we really wish people to receive the same harsh words or treatment as they have given to us? That's not the love that Jesus talks about.

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’  But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,  that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.  If you love those who love you, what reward will you get?"



This is the hardest part. Love those who have hurt you. Pray for them.



There have been many times where this has put me to the test. Love those who have spoken unkind words. Love those who have treated me unkindly. Love those who have been dishonest with me.


Lord knows I have been guilty of all these things. I would want those people to love me despite my human imperfections.


Forget the things we have done wrong and only focus on the positives.


I know if I have done something wrong, I try my best to be the first to admit I was wrong and ask for forgiveness. I do not want anyone focusing on what I have done wrong once I have gone to someone and asked for forgiveness.



This is where we need to remember that everyone is not meant to stay on your journey. Some are here to serve as lessons for our own actions.

That rude lady at the grocery store. Pray for her, forgive her, forget what happened and move on. The fan in the stands that yells at every call. Pray for him, forgive him, forget what he said and move on. You get the picture?




I hope what you have read serves as a reminder that we are to love each other without judgment or persecution. That is not our job to be judge and jury.



Turning the other cheek or taking the high road is not a cowards response. It is the wisdom learned from the teaching of the Gospel.



“Blessed are the poor in spirit,
    for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn,
    for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
    for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
    for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful,
    for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart,
    for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
    for they will be called children of God.
 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
    for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."




If you haven't read the Sermon on the Mount, take a few minutes to absorb the teaching as we are all students of His word.


No comments:

Post a Comment