Thursday, August 18, 2016

Where It All Begins

Hello readers!

Yes, I have been missing for quite some time. Chasing my life dreams have actually caught up with me. Raising 2 daughters, college classes, sports, working full time, writers block plus the many extra obligations I cannot turn down have simply consumed my time.

I have worked on this post since May. There have been revisions, rewrites, cuts and finally thoughts began to fall into place.

While I was shopping at Magnolia Market in Waco, I ran across this print. One day this print will hang inside my home as a daily reminder

.
 


It is generally used during wedding ceremonies and this is where my thoughts began to link to the present state of our nation and how we value each other.

With permission from Donna Beckham, I wanted to share a bit of her post about her change of marital status...

"Twenty years ago on June 1, 1996, I took a vow in front of God, married the man of my dreams and became a wife. Today, on June 2, 2016, my journey as a wife has ended.

Although I never imagined this would happen, and as confusing as it has been, I have finally come to an understanding that this is God's will. I went through the worst storm of my life and came out of it stronger than I ever thought possible! Again, I am happy, I am content and I am at peace.

One of my favorite quotes is 'When we neglect ourselves, we are ultimately neglecting everything and everyone else around us'. 

What have I learned from this? Love God first. Don't depend on anyone else to make you happy. Don't settle for anyone who treats you less that a king or a queen. Embrace being on your own. Treat yourself well. Life is too short to be with people who suck the life out of you." ~Donna Beckham

Yes, this is where it all begins.

Life is about the choices we make and our free will to do so. I don't ever believe that God plans for bad things to happen to good people.

We sometimes experience an unexpected. Loss of jobs, marriages, friendships or we have a series of really bad days.

Our happiness can be achieved through love. The love we give and the love we are willing to accept.

As flawed humans, we are given the ability to make our own choices and this is where places of pain, grief and hurt are born. We neglect to show love to ourselves and the people around us. We often forget about the unconditional love that Jesus provides.

What if we changed our thoughts that normally align this scripture to marriage vows and align them with our everyday thoughts, actions and words?

What if we choose to be patient with difficult people?
What if we choose to be kind to everyone we meet?
What if we choose to not envy those who may have more than we do?
I think you get the picture.

Read this particular verse and then read it again. Maybe read it enough that you memorize it if you haven't already.

Then let's take this verse and apply it to our everyday life.

Do not delight in evil.

Always be honest no matter how hard it may be.

Always protect the people you care for.

Never give up hope and always persevere.

Let's love each other without terms or conditions.

1 Corinthians 13 3-7 (The Message)
If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don’t love, I’ve gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I’m bankrupt without love.
Love never gives up.
Love cares more for others than for self.
Love doesn’t want what it doesn’t have.
Love doesn’t strut,
Doesn’t have a swelled head,
Doesn’t force itself on others,
Isn’t always “me first,”
Doesn’t fly off the handle,
Doesn’t keep score of the sins of others,
Doesn’t revel when others grovel,
Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
Puts up with anything,
Trusts God always,
Always looks for the best,
Never looks back,
But keeps going to the end


No comments:

Post a Comment