Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Holidays Filled With Holes and Hope

It's the most wonderful time of the year.

The time between Thanksgiving and Christmas will remain my favorite season. It's the lights that brighten the dead of late fall and early winter.

To me, there is nothing more magical than watching the reflection of Christmas lights in the eyes of children. From the time they are babies, you could look at their eyes and see the magic that the twinkling of lights create.

Last winter, my youngest daughter wanted to walk through a park filled with lights. As we strolled through the path adorned with festive Christmas lights, I noticed all the families taking in the sights. To see and hear the excitement in the little voices that ran from display to display was priceless. I took the time to really soak in that spirit of Christmas.

In this month filled with Thanksgiving, I think about those cherished memories from my childhood.

I remember those holidays spent in both my grandparents tiny homes and how it filled every possible space with family and friends. The laughter and their memories being shared were things I took for granted at the time. Now as I look back, they are cherished memories of a family that I am blessed to be a part of.

The hole left by the passing of my grandparents and my dad have made me truly appreciate the family that I have remaining.

I have a mom battling cancer, aunts and uncles facing health issues and many relatives scattered between states. Some people struggle with the loss of jobs, loved ones, homes, relationships and some simply lose faith. There are holes that are left.

There was a time when I struggled to have faith after the loss of two pregnancies. Now I can be very thankful that I was blessed with two beautiful daughters.

Without the holes, we fail to see the hope. The hope that comes from the new.

New babies, new friends, new jobs, new homes, new beginnings.

You see, with a hole there is a hollow space. This space will need to be filled.

That is why we must cling to hope. We hope that things will turn out for the best. We believe and we trust that the holes will be filled.

A few days ago I heard a song that was once a favorite of my oldest daughter. She danced and twirled around every time it would play on the radio. Often, she would ask me to dance with her and as I held her and we twirled around, she seemed so peaceful with the words and melody of the song. During this time, I gazed at this beautiful child that calls me "Mom" and the hope I thought was lost was now restored.

I Hope You Dance

By Lee Ann Womack
 
I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat but always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
God forbid love ever leave you empty handed
I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean
Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance
 
I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Livin' might mean takin' chances, but they're worth takin'
Lovin' might be a mistake, but it's worth makin'
Don't let some Hellbent heart leave you bitter
When you come close to sellin' out, reconsider
Give the heavens above more than just a passing glance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance
 
My friends, may your holidays holes be filled with hope, peace, grace, kindness and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment