Monday, September 28, 2015

Call of Duty

Duty calls. It seems like the business of volunteering has once again taken center stage.

Many hats. Much time. Zero energy.

When we are in service to others, it is one of the greatest rewards we can give. We give a tiny bit of our lives to someone else. A priceless gift.

To me, there is nothing more rewarding than serving others.

Sometimes that service comes at a price.

I become mentally and physically exhausted. I feel like I am not giving 100% effort and failing to serve in the way I envision.

Deep down, I have a fear of failure. Failure to live up to my own expectations.

While there are days when I am drained, my legs ache and I feel like I have nothing more to give I am reminded that I can do more.

A few hours of sleep can do wonders for the body and soul.

When I lay down, I turn what I may be feeling over to God.

Every failure.

Every sin.

Every mistake.

Every worry.

I ask Jesus to forgive me and to help me forgive others. It is a constant, never ending process.

After I turn everything over to Him, I give thanks.

Colossians 3:17
Whatever you do, whether in speech or action, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus and give thanks to God the Father through him.

During those times when I feel drained, God never ceases to amaze me. I can look back on the week and see how He has woven bits of encouragement into my life. He is the Great Artist and we are His masterpiece.

He restores my faith when I feel I have none.

He give me hope when I feel I am lost.

He gives me love when I feel unloved.

The days when I feel I want to give up serving others is when He breathes life back into me. Sometimes it's very subtle, like a small bit of energy just when I need it. At other times, it's a jolt of full throttle adrenaline that makes me feel like I could move a bus.

I always remember that this is what I am called to do even when I feel drained. Serve.

He reminds me that I am to serve others with the heart of a servant. Even to those I do not want to serve. You know, the ones that are hard to love.

I am to give back to others the gifts that He gives me every day.

Grace. Peace. Faith. Hope. Love. Kindness. Forgiveness.

Some days these gifts are easy to give to others but there are those days that I struggle. My two biggest struggles are forgiving others and showing grace.

Forgiveness and grace are my work in progress. If I want to receive the full gifts that Christ wants me to have, I must serve others in every way. Especially on my struggling days.

Let Jesus into your heart and let Him fill your life with the abundant gifts that He longs to give. Then take that gift and share it with others. Even the ones that are hard to love.

1 Peter 4:9-11
Open your homes to each other without complaining.  And serve each other according to the gift each person has received, as good managers of God’s diverse gifts. Whoever speaks should do so as those who speak God’s word. Whoever serves should do so from the strength that God furnishes. Do this so that in everything God may be honored through Jesus Christ. To him be honor and power forever and always. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment